Change root lanaguage
- The default is german (LANG=de_DE.UTF-8)
- To change it, edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n, and change LANG to en_UK.UTF-8
Use 1&1 root server account for email without letting them host the DNS
- Login to your control panel
- Select the Domains link in the menu on the left
- Click on the "New" button at the top of the list of the domains in the center.
- Enter your domain name (without the www) and hit "Check Domain"
- Coose the "point your domain to 1&1 name servers and keep your current regsitrar" and next. NOTE, it makes a big mistake, here and doesnt actually set the mail servers to 1&1, but to default (see later)
- Make a note of the mx servers, probably:
- mx01.1and1.co.uk. priority 20
- mx00.1and1.co.uk. priority 10
- Tell it to use 1&1 mail servers & hit next.
- Hit "Order"
- Now go back to your domain list. Find your domain (might have to make the list longer).
- Select the domain you just added, and click on the "DNS" button at the top of the list.
- Hit "Edit" next to the "Name Server Settings".
- Change the MX-Record back to "1&1 mail server"
- Go to your real domain DNS control panel, and change the MX records to the 1and1.co.uk records above.
- Create some mail accounts in the 1&1 control panel.
How to move a domain between one 1&1 account and another
- go to http://cancel.1and1.com
- login with your old accounts details (note, if you get it wrong first time, it "remembers" this. you have to shut down all your browsers, and start again. Nice one 1&1). Oh, and it asks for "Customer ID". It means your account number.
- Follow the options to cancel a single domain.
- If you say cancel immediately, it takes about 8 hours.
- Now you can go into your other admin.1and1.co.uk control panel, and create the domain