Verbatim 500 GB External Hard Drive USB 2.0 Model #47510
Bought this drive from PC City in Spain for 75 euros, as it was cheaper than buying a bare drive.
I had to break it open, but now I know how to open it without breaking.
Inside is a Western Digital WD5000AAVS? Caviar GP (green power) SATA Drive. Various websites say this is a 7200 or 5400 RPM (green mode). Some say its got 8MB cache, some 16 MB.
To open the drive:
- Cut the "void if removed sticker" with a knife.
- put a screwdriver or 3 into the 3 slots on the rear underside and push.
- The back plate (with the ports on it) actually slides DOWN, dont pull it off like I did (doh!)
- Then simply slide the bottom of the unit gently away from the sides and top, revealing the HD.
- To remove the HD, undo the 4 screws on the sides.
- Then slide it towards the front of the case, and slightly up and out.